1. Purchase ISBN number
- Canada & India no cost for ISBN
- America you can purchase one at a time for under $30
- UK you must purchase 10 which is quite expensive but will motivate you to write 10 books (check out Nielsen’s Guidelines on-line to apply for ISBN).
2. Create barcode for the back of the book ( you can download a barcode generator for free and do it yourself or you can pay £3.99 to get one done like I did- want to know where I did it? Email me for more details!) You will need this so that when your book is at the shop they can scan it and keep track of it. This also helps when bookstores need to re-order. You will need to register with Gardner’s or a distributor of your choice! Want to know why? Follow my blog to find out!
3. Create Title Verso Page (make sure you know how to copyright all of your work- this is where you do it- usually it is the first page of your book before all of the juicy details).
4. Decide the size of your book (you will need to know what size you are wanting your book to be- this will help you for your next step).
5. Call or email at least 4 local printing companies. Yes, you can print over-seas and it will probably be more profitable; however, if you are going to trade on the fact that you keep everything local like we do- then go for it! Choose the best price and of course the best quality of each printers. Ask them to send you some samples of their work before you go ahead with them. You don’t need to sign up to all of these expensive publishing wanna be companies who take your money and DON’T promote you! You can hire a PR agency to do that!